Not just a Portfolio, it's a book of your abilities
A portfolio is a job-hunting tool. It's a reflection of yours. It's more than a resume or a cover letter, which is more creative & full of experience. Your portfolio speaks about your work, experience, skills & abilities which can help an organization in a productive way. More you spend time in creating an attractive portfolio; more chances will increase to get an opportunity to get selected. But before preparing a portfolio, do a self assessment so that you'll have an idea what all qualities you have to market.
Why there is a need to have a portfolio?
"¢ Try to be the best in the competition.
"¢ Grab the opportunity which knocks your door.
"¢ To increase the visibility of your abilities.
"¢ To get promotions.
"¢ To put the right impression at right time, at right place.
How to create an effective portfolio?
1. Target your market
2. Give a perfect introduction page
3. Think About Presentation in a creative & descriptive way
4. Proper Navigation in case of online portfolio
5. Provide adequate contact information, Education, Awards and Certificates & work experience
6. Provide case studies giving a deeper view
7. Skills, Abilities and Marketable Qualities
8. Put proper titles & proper layout design
9. Add Samples of Your Work, for e.g.: Newspaper Cuttings, CD, Photos, etc
10. Focus on design element
11. Add resume & cover latter along with the portfolio
12. Professionally put portfolio pages into a ring-binder folder
Major elements in a Portfolio:
"¢ Clarity and focus- Portfolio should reflect your personality like crystal clear water.
"¢ Balance in the material you enter-Do not go messy or confused about the material you put. It should be short & sweet, which should not be no more than 25 pages.
"¢ Stand out as unique- Your portfolio has to be unique in design, material, presentation as it speaks all about you.
"¢ Proper navigation- interviewer should not get confused while going through your portfolio. Proper navigation is important.
"¢ More visually effective- Use high resolution, related & meaningful samples which increase your visibility of work & skills.
Infuse your personality into your design. Portfolio can make or break your fortune. If you are putting more time & efforts, you can impress anyone because of your work & will stand out of all in the world.