Everyone is aware of Right to Education. Equal Right Equal Opportunity.
Education is a gift, everyone should get it. Access to education is a fundamental human right, which helps in social, economical and personal development of every individual.
If we talk about kids with disability, they are seriously loosing the chance to get educated & their disability is rising up as a barrier to their lives. Children living with the disabilities are deprived of going to school, getting quality education, are being treated unequal, seen by negatives prospects & are not given equal career opportunities as well. Disability leads them either to dropout from schools or to not allow going for higher studies. Barriers to education can be in any form. It can be in terms of physical, financial, attitudinal misbehavior, biasness or any other services.
Main barriers to the students with disabilities:
1. Physical Inaccessibility
2. Not being treated equally
3. Negative attitudes of the society towards disable children
4. Comparatively less access to jobs because they are not physically fit
5. Unable to get access to the educational services
6. Biased remuneration in companies
7. Dropout in the mid of education
& many more.
These barriers are required to be eradicated from the society, after all these kids are humans, they should get every joy of life which other children are getting. Education is every individual's right.
Overcoming Barriers to Equal Education
1. Positive Social perceptions: Society has a negative attitude & perceptions towards kids with disabilities. They feel they should not be treated equally because they are physically handicapped. This mindset should be removed from the minds of the people who have such mentality. These special kids' lives in the same society who treat them different form normal ones. Yes, they are normal as others are. You just need to Understand & believe it.
2. Access to schools: This is really unfortunate that even if these kids are given chance to study in good schools, they don't have proper access which makes them join such schools, specially running for disable children. Proper Entrances/Exits, stairs access & walking path access should be available at schools so that even the children using wheelchairs or sticks can also get access to different directions at school.
3. Trained Environment at school: Educators, staff & students at schools should be trained properly to treat these students equally & nicely. Teachers should guide & help them as per their requirements & needs.
4. Equal access to education: All students have strengths and weaknesses, and most students need support to reach their full potential. They should be given equal learning opportunities everywhere.
5. Online support: Few online sites are especially dedicated to help physically disable children to shape their careers & to direct them towards right path. These websites actually supports their academic careers.
Don't make their disabilities their weakness. These kids are also the future of our country. Boost them up & make them believe on their abilities what they can do.