Information Technology Infrastructure library (ITIL) is methodology which is related to IT service management. It focuses on IT services alignment as per business requirements. In a competitive world where the “Survival of Fittest” is not a hyperbole, in continually changing business environment where technology is changing day by day, it becomes necessary that we should have some smart business management system. And one of the biggest business management tools is IT (information technology).
What is IT (Information Technology):
- IT, Information technology, is related to computing technology, software, hardware & the internet. Growing dependency on IT makes it necessary that we should think about the management of IT.
- Main Responsibilities of IT (Information Technology): For any business information technology structure has multiple responsibilities some of them are below mention.
- Quick adoption of changes: From the technology point of view every business changes, so it becomes necessary that the structure used for IT management in organization should be adoptive for changes.
- Costs & complexity: An IT structures used by any organization, reduces the cost of daily work & reduce the complexity of daily business activities.
- Resource optimization: Due to high speed & swift working utilization of resource onit optimum level becomes easy.
What is ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library):
In 1980 Central Computer and Telecommunication Agency (CCTA), UK, developed a set of recommendation required to manage the IT services in any industry. Initially the ITIL was the collection of books; each book was related to the management of the information technology which helps different industries in improving service levels and reduce the cost of IT operations.
ITIL is a defined framework with ten interlocking processes for service support & service delivery; Its also provide support in security management of information technology.
The ten ITIL process has been defined in two volumes.
- IT Service support: managing of essential operational process in IT.
- IT Service delivery: Focuses on strategic management of the IT services.
History of ITIL:
ITIL Version-1 was published in 1980 with 40 books and was for British civil service only, in 1990 Version-2 was published; having 8 books and this was the first released version for rest of world. In 2007 Version-3 was published having only 5 books which are used as five phases of ITIL management.
End the chaos of the process: As ITIL is an Ad-hoc approach which required no documents by using minimal IT operations with multiple help desk.
Reactive approach: ITIL uses a reactive approach, it first observes the problem and the place where the actual problem is then find out the permanent solution to fix the existing problem. As a reactive approach it works on multiple systems as desktop software distribution, Problem management and Alert & event management.
Proactive approach: As a proactive approach ITIL works on predictive approach by doing trend analysis of set threshold and predict the future.
Service management: IT is a service so ITIL classify among different service level of IT based upon the activity to be performed, cost, SLA guarantees & capacity management.
Add Value: In business management ITIL adds values in terms of money & as an improved process.