The literacy rate in India is low compared to other developing countries in the world. One of the major reasons behind this is poverty. Almost one-third of India’s total population suffers from poverty. Poverty is non-uniform in India. In some places, poverty shows a hungry face whereas some places poverty is a small issue. Therefor education for this down section of the society is not more than a dream. Recently some NGOs decided to hold the hands of these poor children to get an education and improve their living.
Overpopulation is a major reason behind poverty. There are also other aspects like irregular distribution of economic wealth. One part of the society approximates of 10%, gain wealth and takes good education but on the other hand 90% of the population suffers from low income rate. It is impossible for these families to give proper education to their children.
“77% of Indians live on less than 20 rupees per day”, says Arjun Sengupta in his report of the National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganized Sector. Many government and non-government organization tries to eliminate this problem through different programs.
NGOs provide basic lifestyle needs like clothing and proper shelter. They also try to start campaigns which will give proper education to the poor children so that they can come out from the shell of poverty. Educating these poor children can teach them the bright side of life and develop a sense of independence so that they can work and earn increase their quality of living.
The statement “children are the future of the nation” although sounds gloomy but is also something alarming for nations socioeconomic growth. NGOs take the responsibility to make the lives of the poor children better. They provide shelter and clothing. They set up school with little or sometimes no monthly fees and give basic education. Funds in these NGOs are both public and private and are used to improve the condition of the houses in the slums.
Orphanages are also run by these NGOs which provide shelter, food and education to poor orphans. One philanthropist says that he had contributed money for almost a decade to those orphanages that provided a life to these poor children without parents.
Orphanages run by NGOs not only give a new life to the orphans but also prevents them from getting involved in criminal work. They also help them from the hands of those people who use children to earn money through offensive work.
Poverty is among those alarming issues which not only ruins the life of the people but also prevents them from improving their life in the future. NGOs serve their duty in helping those sufferers of poverty through these various missions. They give education to the children so that they can take responsibility on their shoulders to work and earn money for the family through legal ways.
NGOs also provide basic shelter and clothing so that they can have a good and hygienic lifestyle. The nation thus largely banks on them for social development and radical growth of the poorer sections and expects to see a silver lining in the sky assisted by the cooperation.