The Indian Education System primarily depends upon having a fixed course structure and a syllabus for every exam- be it a School Board Exam or an Entrance Exam or anything else. The students are made to follow a gradual up gradation starting from their nurseries in childhood up to a maximum of post doctorate, if pursued. There can be different paths a student choses after his/her class 12 pass out, for his future career. However the basic course structure up till class 12 remains almost the same for all students. The divisions in the educational career as made in India can be described as follows.
Stages in the Indian Education System
· Pre-primary – This stage includes kindergartens and nursery classes where the toddlers are made to have their first step towards the learning process.
· Primary - This section consists of classes of 1 to 5 standards, generally facilitating schooling in morning sections, in most of the above average rated schools.
· Middle – This stage consists of standards 6 to 8.
· Secondary – Consisting of classes 9 and 10; students are made to prepare seriously for their first board exams.
· Higher Secondary – Consisting of classes 11 and 12; students prepare for the most vital board exam.
· Under Graduate – This degree is pursued by the student according to the choice of subject and the School Boards Examination results made by him, and the number of years may vary accordingly with engineering or general or medical courses, as chosen by the candidate.
· Post Graduate – This course is pursued after completion of the under graduate course, and again the number of years may vary according to the course pursued.
Streams of Education after Higher Secondary Examination
· General Stream – A student may choose to pursue 3year Under graduation course, followed by a 2 year Post graduate course, followed by a 3 or more years Doctoral course (if interested in research line), in this general stream.
· Engineering Stream - A student may choose to pursue 4year Under graduation course, followed by a 2/3 year Post graduate course, followed by a 3 or more years Doctoral course (if interested in research line), in this engineering stream.
· Medical Stream - A student may choose to pursue 5-6year Under graduation course, followed by a 3 year Post graduate course in this medical stream.
However, except for medical stream, completion of the post graduate course or doctoral course is not mandatory for any student. In fact in India, education up to 10th standard is held to be compulsory, after which a student is given the right to decide his future courses of study.
All schools are affiliated to either the Central boards of Education or the State boards. The colleges for under graduation are affiliated under the different State Universities. The post-graduation courses are facilitated in the different State Universities themselves. Other than these, the Indian Education System also provides for vocational education and distance education in different streams. The Indian Education System also provides with the National Open School and the International Open School.
Various Stages Of Board Exams
Streams Of Educaion