Address Bhadwasiya, Paota, Jodhpur, Rajasthan 342005
No of employees:
A cluster of Princely States with an oasis known as Ajmer-Merwara, a British India Territory, was given geographical expression as Rajputana. These Twenty and odd Rajputana States before 20th Century AD were dynastic and the Rulers were the fountain head of all Executive, Legislative and Judicial Authority in the States. As soon as the country got freedom from British Imperialism, the process of integration of the princely States to form bigger units was initiated.
The State of Rajasthan was formed during the period March 17, 1948 and January 25, 1950 by integration of 19 Princely States. The Union of Rajasthan was inaugurated at Jaipur by Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel on March 30, 1949. At that time Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Bikaner and Kota were the leading states with more or less British style of Administrative set up. They had their own High Courts with a subordinate judicial system. Before inauguration of the new State, a committee consisting of Shri B.R.Patel, the then Chief Secretary to the Government of PEPSU, Lt. Col. T.C.Puri, Director of Health Service and Shri S.P.Sinha, Superintending Engineer, CPWD, was constituted to resolve the issues relating to location of the capital and the seat of the High Court. The committee submitted its report on March 27, 1949 with a recommendation that Jaipur should be made capital of the new State and the High Court should be located at Jodhpur. In the newly created State, five High Courts were functioning at Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Udaipur (being capital of United Rajasthan with a bench at Kota) and Alwar (being capital of Matsya State) with a total strength of 20 judges. The Rajasthan High Court Ordinance, 1949 abolished these different jurisdictions and provided for a single High Court for the entire State. Section 10(1) of the Ordinance laid down that “the High Court shall sit at Jodhpur and such other place or places, if any, as the Rajpramukh may from time to time appoint either permanently or for a specified period”. Sub-section (2) of Section 10 empowered the Chief Justice to nominate one or more of such judges of the High Court to sit at such place or places as he may direct. In exercise of powers under sub-section(3) of Section 1, the Rajpramukh of the State issued a notification on August 25, 1949 fixing the 29th day of August, 1949 as the date for inauguration of the High Court of Judicature for Rajasthan at Jodhpur. On the same day the Rajpramukh exercising the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of Section 10 of the Ordinance directed that until further orders the High Court of Judicature for Rajasthan shall also sit simultaneously (1) at Jaipur to dispose of the work arising in the Jaipur and Kota divisions and (2) at Udaipur to dispose of the work arising in Udaipur division.