The Karnataka government had decided to promote regional languages by implementing Kannada and other languages in government schools across the state. The education affairs of Karnataka state is monitored by two Ministers of Cabinet rank namely Minister for Higher Education and Minister for the Primary and Secondary Education.
In the recent inaugural function and the centenary celebration of one government higher primary school in Honasigere village, Tumakuru taluk district, the Governor of the state VR Vala, in his deliberation, remarked Karnataka to be a model state in education, health care and agriculture. While stressing on the importance of good infrastructure in the government schools, the governor attributed for the generous contribution of philanthropists in augmenting the schools infrastructures and facilities.
Role of education ministry in state:
- Tanvir Seth, Education Minister for Primary and Secondary Education, in an attempt to promote government schools, has likely to prevent setting up of private schools in five years down the line
- After consulting with the Knowledge Commission, the government will launch the Karnataka Education Policy 2016 in events which will induct Kannada and other regional languages in schools education structures for children
- Tanvir Seth vouched that no schools will be closed due to lack of teachers, infrastructure or facilities
- The Education Ministry for Primary and Secondary has asked the Union government to provide funds for the Bala Swachh Bharat Mission to provide proper water drinking facilities and school toilets. The ministry also requested the corporate organizations, industrialists and MPs to grant funds for government schools.
- The education minister, while pointing out the urgent need to augment the quality of education, said that only 13 per cent of fifth grade students can read and construct sentences while 57 per cent in private schools can read and write.