This year, CAT 2017 exam is scheduled to be held on November 26 and is only three months away now.
The exam consists of three sections namely, Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI & LR) and Quantitative Ability (QA). Each section has a definite allotted time span of 1 hour and all together there are 100 questions in the exam.
Section wise important topics
QA: Major topics in QA section are algebra, number system and permutation and combination. So, don’t forget to cover them in detail. QA section has questions from Geometry section as well but these can be solved easily with the short-cut tricks.
VARC: Questions from reading comprehension (RC) and para-jumble forms the major portion of this section. Try to solve the RC from different domains of psychology, science, economics, medicine etc. Make yourself comfortable in solving the RC from unfamiliar domains.
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning: This section is all about speed and accuracy. So, while practicing make sure to practice lot of questions from many diverse areas.
Tips to prepare for CAT 2017 exam
- Study regularly to stay in touch with the concepts and topics of the exam! You need not study for the whole day instead a focused study of 3-4 hours per day will reap you the maximum benefits.
- Balance your speed with the accuracy because CAT is all about balancing the both. During the initial phase of the preparation focus on the accuracy and then gradually increase the speed keeping your accuracy intact and this can only be achieved through practice.
- Leaving some topics unprepared for the exam may not be a good idea because you may lose out an opportunity to score easy marks. In case you still want to leave some topics then make sure that they are not important topics.
- Attempt as many mock tests as you can! But only attempting the tests is not going to do any good; it is important to spend appropriate amount of time in analyzing the test as well.
- A question in CAT may have multiple methods by which it can be solved. Look for the shortest possible methods using the short-cuts. This will save you substantial amount of time.