After getting the approval from government on Tuesday, a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) will be established in Kamrup, Assam. After establishment, the institute will provide super health facilities to the people in the region. The new medical institute will be set up under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna and the complete construction is expected to complete in 48 months.
The Union Cabinet was approved by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and expected cost of the construction is INR 1,123 crore.
The new AIIMS institute will have pre-construction phase of 15 months, construction phase of 30 months and a commissioning phase of 3 months.
The AIIMS at Kamrup will consist of the following:
- A hospital with bed capacity of 750 beds, trauma center facilities
- A medical college to accommodate 100 students per year
- 60 seats for BSc (nursing) students
- Residential complex and facilities on the pattern of AIIMS in New Delhi
- 22 specialty or super-specialty department
- 16 operation theaters
- Ayush department with 30 beds for treatment in traditional systems of medicine
"The establishment of the new AIIMS will serve the dual purpose of providing super-specialty healthcare to the population while also help create a large pool of doctors and other health workers in this region that can be available for primary and secondary level institutions being created under the National Health Mission (NHM)," the statement said.