In a latest notification, the Railway board instructed all the general managers to display the books on Indian culture and morals at all platform kiosks.
According to the reports from PTI 'Zonal railways shall ensure that all MPS must display and sell books pertaining to Indian tradition, culture, values, morals and history.'
Books stall policy of 2004
- The stalls will have to keep the books on varied subjects like literature, history, children's literature, fiction, travel, light reading, art, culture, current affairs, professional interests, national integration, etc. in English, Hindi and regional languages
- As mentioned in the notification other items to be sold at the stalls will be artifacts and items of local and regional importance, proprietary article depot items, drinking water, over-the-counter medicines and non-pharmacy items like dry milk powder
- Also, all the sellers will be required to publish a timetable and trains at glance.
These stalls can be run by the retailers, individuals and self-help groups.
- The policy states "It is mandatory for such stalls to have a point of sale or swipe machine for acceptance of credit and debit cards from all customers without charging any additional transaction charge for any sale above Rs 100."
- Any payment below INR 100 can be done through the e-wallet.
Inspection and monitoring
As mentioned in the official notification "zonal railways will frequently inspect bookstalls. In case of any irregularity fine may be imposed on the defaulting license."