A degree in management from one of the 20 IIMS of the nation is a surefire way to make a great career in the field of management but, the way to the IIMS passes through the rough terrain of CAT exam, which every year is attempted by lakhs of candidates. CAT is a computer based exam and is the first stage of selection in IIMs. There is a very popular misconception about the exam that it is very tough. However, according to the toppers and experts the exam is not tough but rather requires strategic preparation.
Important points about the CAT exam
- The exam will be computer based
- Like last year, the duration of the exam will be of three hours
- The exam will comprise of three sections and each section will have limited time duration of 1 hour. Candidates belonging to the PH category will be provided extra time.
- The three sections in the exam will be Quantitative Aptitude (QA), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI and LR), Verbal reading and comprehension (VRC)
- Total number of questions in the exam will be 100
- Exam will have both MCQ and non-MCQ questions
- The ration of the MCQ questions to the Non-MCQ questions will be 18:7
- Distribution of the questions across the exam sections will be uneven. In the last year's exam there were 34 questions in VRC and QA each and 32 questions in DI and LR section.
- Candidates will be awarded 3 marks for the correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted in case of wrong answer.
- Virtual calculator will be provided to the candidates on the screen