At the 63rd Convocation of IIT-KGP, 12 IIT-K alumni were presented with the 'Distinguished Alumnus Award' by the institute.
Two more alumni of the institute were selected for the honors but unfortunately, they were not present on the convocation ceremony.
One of the recipients of the award was Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research director Dr Arun Kumar Bhaduri and he said that "One of the basics and the fundamentals at my IIT- KGP stint was the desire to do hard work, hard work and hard work. I pursued that in research, design and development of the highest order and the seeds were sown by IIT-KGP."
Another recipient of the award was the founder of the genomics company, Anuradha Acharya and she said "A lot of my aspirations revolved round bridging the genomic inequality... I feel my contribution has been acknowledged finally".
Other prominent awardees were:
- Indian Statistical Institute director Prof Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay
- Director of the Metal Processing Institute at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute Dr Brajendra Mishra
- IIT Mumbai professor Dr Subhasis Chaudhuri
- Educationist and researcher Dr Sujit Banerji
- West Bengal DGP Surajit Kar Purkayastha
- Indian Express Chief Editor Raj Kamal Jha
- US-based philanthropist Dr Ruma Acharya
Dignitaries including IIT-KGP Director Prof Partha Pratim Chakrabarti, Convocation chairman Prof Man Mohan Sharma were present at the convocation ceremony.