Common Admission Test or CAT is a national level test and is conducted to give admissions into Post Graduate Programs (PGP) in the field of management at various IIMs in the nation. Many other management institutes also use score of the CAT exam to screen the candidates at the preliminary levels.
Through the exam, this year, almost 20,000 students will be admitted into the various courses offered by the 20 IIMs of the nation and it is estimated that nearly 2,00,000 students will compete for these 20,000 seats. Earlier, the intake capacity of IIMs was 10,000 only but in a meeting, which was held on September 26, 2016, the decision to double the capacity of the IIMs was announced by the HRD minister Prakash Javadekar.
The CAT exam for the year 2017 will be conducted by the IIM-Lucknow with TCS as the testing agency. Not many details have been released by the authorities about the CAT exam to be conducted this year.
Below are some points through unofficial source, which students must keep in mind:
- The exam pattern for the CAT 2017 will be same as that of 2016
- The date for releasing the official notification of the CAT is July 30
- The online registration process will began on August 7 and the window will remain open for approximately a period of 45 days.
- There will be sectional time limit and students won't able to switch between the sections randomly.
- Application fee for the exam is same as that of last year.