After making unremitting announcements in recent times, Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javedkar has yet again made an announcement regarding giving more autonomy to research institutes of the nation.
At a review meeting held on Friday at Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) in Mohali, Prakash Javedkar said that the research institutes will be getting more autonomy for making Make in India campaign a success.
Details of the meeting
- At the meeting, Javedkar announced that the government will increase the expenditure on the research programmes for institutes to gain a better ranking in the world
- In the meet, directors of five Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) -- located at Pune, Kolkata, Mohali, Bhopal, and Thiruvananthapuram -- and the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, at IISER Mohali were present
- Minister was also accompanied by the Union minister of state for Human Resource Development (Higher Education) Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey
- During the interaction with students, minister also received feedback on improving the performance of these institutions
- "The new national education policy will soon be ready and a meeting of the draft committee of the policy will be held on September 30. We will review the suggestions given by all the MPs to the committee," Javadekar said as per a recent Indian Express report.
While speaking about the funds crisis happening in Panjab University, Javadekar said he will soon talk to the vice-chancellor of the versity so as to resolve the problem soon.
Further, the minister said, "Like other research institutes, the government will introduce Prime Minister's Scholarship under which the students will be given around Rs 3.25 lakh for the first time in the IISERs. As many as 1800 students from Jammu and Kashmir who are studying in different research and engineering institutes have enrolled under the scheme."
While concluding his statement, Javadekar added that the review meeting was productive and helped in deciding the road ahead for these premier institutions of the country.