After announcing the setting up of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in Jammu last year in 2015, the Human Resources Development (HRD) Ministry finally signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Higher Education Department of the J&K Government for establishing the same.
As per a statement issued by an official spokesperson "the MoU was signed in the presence of Minister for Education Naeem Akhter and Minister of State for Education Priya Sethi by the Director, IIM, Lucknow."
Naeem Akhter termed the MoU as a landmark decision that will go a long way in producing world-class management professional from the state. He also requested the ministry to work concurrently for establishing an offsite campus of the IIM-Jammu in Srinagar so that students of the Kashmir division also get the benefit.
- It was signed by Dr Ajit Prasad, Director, IIM, Lucknow, and Dr Asghar Samoon, Commissioner Secretary, Higher Education, at the civil secretariat, Srinagar
- The IIM would be set up in Jammu at one of the desired places selected by the state government
- A transit campus will be set up in few designated places in Jammu, the work for which would be taken up immediately
- The MOU was signed by Dr Ajit Prasad, Director, IIM, Lucknow, and Dr Asghar Samoon, Commissioner Secretary, Higher Education, at the civil secretariat, Srinagar, it added
- IIM Lucknow will be the mentor institute for IIM-Jammu acting through its Director, Department of Higher Education, MHRD
The Higher Education Department has also requested the Registrar, University of Jammu, to vacate sheds near the entrance gate to hand over the same to the IIM-Jammu and vacant the administrative block of the Government College of Engineering at Old University Campus, Jammu, which has also been provided to the IIM-Jammu.