In a meeting with Directors and Chairmen of 20 Indian Institutes of Management on Tuesday in IIM-Shillong campus, Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar asked the head of the institutes to submit plans for expansion of their intake capacity from 10,000 to 20,000 students.
Excerpts from minister's views:
Increase the intake capacity of students
"We have decided to increase the intake capacity of students from 10,000 to 20,000 so that more students will get opportunity to take part in these best institutes. All (IIM) Directors have also narrated how they are ready for how much expansion and if there are problems they will mention it and submit action plans on expansion of students intake," Javadekar said.
Doctoral programs (PhD programs)
- Apart from increasing the B-schools' intake capacity, the minister said, "The IIMs have also decided to expand (the number of) doctoral programs (PhD programs) to address the shortage of faculty through creating quality PhDs."
- "We also discussed how to expand PhD programs by offering IIM scholars more fellowships. As in Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) Council, we have decided to give Prime Minister Research Fellowship. We will also take government's approval for Prime Minister's scholarship for the best of the best PhD scholars in IIMs. But the final decision will be taken by the cabinet," he stated
Prime Minister Research Fellowship
- On Prime Minister Research Fellowship for IIT scholars, Javadekar said, "The IITs already have their own funding. Therefore, we also want to provide these benefits for IIM scholars, and necessary sanction will be given to this soon."
- Plan to set up 20 world class institutes
- The IIMs should also appreciate the government's new initiative to build 20 world-class universities or institutes, said Javadekar
- "The government will create world-class institutes - 10 in government sector and 10 in private sector. Therefore, the IIMs should also prepare themselves because these world-class institutes will be decided finally by challenge mode," he said
- Replying to a question whether world-class universities or institutes will be established in the north eastern states, the HRD minister said, "As I said, everybody will participate. As you know, after Modi became Prime Minister, the whole focus on northeast has increased not only in academic but in every sector. Therefore, this program will be finalized and declared soon after cabinet approval."