HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated state-of-the-art supercomputer, Param-Ishan, today, i.e. 20th September, 2016 at in IIT Guwahati.
Why the inauguration?
- Although Indian premium institutions are famous across the globe, they fail to match the standard of other universities, for there is need to bring research and innovation for the students. Textual knowledge is not enough for an institution in overall growth.
- Calling IITs "modern temples for development", Javadekar said a nations' potential for growth is evaluated on the quality of its research and development
- Several technology areas will be positively affected through the introduction of the new supercomputer, he said
- It is being anticipated that the institutions across the country will be equipped with supercomputers
- "While some institutions already have supercomputers, the number of such institutes will rise and go up to 60 as the government is focusing on providing advanced infrastructure," a senior official said
- In his speech, Javadekar said the government has invited new development and research initiatives and 2,000 proposals have been received so far, according to a statement released today. Out of these projects, four hundred were shortlisted and funds released for the various projects across the county, he said
Param-Ishan is supercomputer with a power of 250 Teraflops and capacity of 300 terabytes, claimed IIT Guwahati Director Prof Gautam Biswas
"It is a one of the glad moments to have the fastest and most powerful computer in northeastern, eastern and southern regions," Javadekar said after the launch
Uses of new super computer
- The supercomputer would not only augment research initiatives in the institute, but also help create an ecosystem for attracting the right talent to the field of research, said Biswas
It has multiple uses:
- Computational Chemistry
- Computational Fluid Dynami
- Computational Electromagnetics
- Civil Engineering Structures
- Nana-block Self Assemble
- Weather and climate modeling
- Seismic data processing
Indeed, the computer justifies its name -- Supercomputer 'Param-Ishan'.