The center has approved the request of the Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh and will establish Government Medical College (GMC) at Kapurthala. The center has also agreed to upgrade the existing civil hospital in the area, said Punjab Government is an official press release.
"The new GMC would be set up at a cost of Rs 325 crore, of which Rs 195 crore, i.e. 60 percent share, would be incurred by the Centre. The remaining 40 percent to the tune of Rs. 130 crore would be contributed by the Punjab Government as the state's share for the college being set up under a centrally sponsored scheme for the establishment of new medical colleges attached with existing district or referral hospitals," it said.
According to the release, the Government of Punjab has already identified 11 acres of land for the construction. Once established and functional, the GMC will be one of its kind hospital in the Doaba region. The new GMC will be the fifth in the state with three functioning at Amritsar, Faridkot and Patiala and the fourth is being set up at SAS Nagar Mohali.