The admission procedure for medical entries in self-financing medical institutes in Maharashtra has once again hit the headlines when the state government dismisses the proposal of admitting non-domicile students in private medical colleges.
The state government on Wednesday approached the Bombay High Court and asserted that no private run medical colleges in the state will entertain non-domicile students since many states did not admit students from Maharashtra seeking admission in medical courses of MBBS and BDS.
Rohit Deo, acting advocate general, then subsequently acknowledged the bench of Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice MS Sonak regarding the challenges faced by Maharashtrian students in other states and attempted to justify why Maharashtra had determined not to entertain admission to non-domicile students in private medical colleges.
"Our students are not allowed to take admission under All India Quota in other states. They cannot go to at least 10/11 other states," said Rohit Deo.
State's prerogative over admission process:
- It has been acknowledged that many states, since last year, had mandated that students seeking admission in medical courses must have SSC and HSC certificate from the same state where they wish to pursue medical studies.
- In response to one dental college in Nashik, which had earlier challenged the state prerogative over medical admission in Maharashtra, Rohit Deo avowed to the authority granted by NEET Regulation body to states to conduct admission based on their respective policies.
- While responding to the petitions filed by several bodies challenging the provisions envisaged under the Maharashtra Unaided Professional Educational Institutions Act of 2015, Deo pointed out that 85 per cent of seats in the private colleges are reserved for domicile students and has been practicing since 1955. However, the institutes can render the remaining 15 per cent seats for the non-domicile students as 15 per cent seats are strictly under quota.
- He further pointed out that no states such as Delhi and Gujarat entertain non-domicile students in private medical colleges and also added that very limited seats are available for students from other states.
It has been notified that the Bombay High Court will precede the final hearing on Friday.