Recently, the Maharashtra State government issued a government resolution which asked all the schools not to have junk food and food high in fat, salt and sugar in their canteens. The resolution even came with the list of food items which schools are barred from selling in their school canteen.
Encouraging students to consume natural food
As mentioned in the report from Indian Express " the government decision comes almost a year after the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development issued letters to states asking them to ban HFSS foods and encourage students to consume natural foods."
List of banned food items
The banned food items in the resolution are the following:
- wafers (fried products)
- aerated and non-aerated drinks
- locally manufactured food items
About the resolution
- The schools have been instructed to introduce healthy substitutes in the school canteen such as chapati, rice, pulao, tamarind rice.
- As sweets school canteens now will have kheer, phirni, lassi and fruits.
- Instead of aerated drinks coconut water will be made available in canteens.
- Schools are advised to pick the items based on the geography and local eating habits of the people in the area.
"The decision is binding to all schools, including CBSE and ICSE schools," said Education Secretary Nand Kumar, adding that the state wanted to ensure that children were provided with nutritious food.