Professor M.P. Poonia did his engineering from MBM College in Jodhpur in 1985 and then he pursued his M.Tech in 1990 from IIT Delhi. In 1996 he pursued his PhD in Thermal Engineering from IIT Delhi.
Mr. Poonia has vast a experience of 27 years in which he was responsible for various capacities for different institutions. He initially started as a professor in MNIT in Jaipur where he stayed from 1999 to 2004. Then in year 2004, he became Principal of Government Engineering College at Bikaner. When he became principle the institute had a very bad reputation and therefore it was a big challenge and responsibility to turn the image of the institute upside down. But with the efforts of Mr. Poonia and his team in a short span of two years the institute improved economically, financially and academically. Also the intake strength of the students was rose from 500 to 7000 within same years.
Following is the list of landmarks achieved by the Government Engineering college under his leadership:
- Ranked first in Rajasthan by Career 360.
- Declared as Model Institute of Rajasthan Government in State Legislative Assembly.
- Awarded State Level Second Prize for Clean and Green campus.
- Academic result of college students is among the best in Rajasthan (more than 95% result).
As a result of these achievements he was assigned other task of setting of three more government technical institutions:
- Centre for E-Governance, Jaipur which was completed during 2006-08.
- Engineering College, Bharatpur, completed in 2007.
- College of Engineering and Technology, Bikaner completed during 2007-09
As a result he was honored on 15th August 2008 by the Government.
In year 2010 he returned to MNIT where he assumed the responsibility of Dean-Planning and Development.
Another feather was added in his cap when in 2012 he was appointed by Government of India (MHRD) National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, Chandigarh.
He has published several books and manuals on mechanical engineering and his research papers has found place in national and international journal.
He was awarded as "Eminent Engineering Personality Award" in 2012 on Engineers day.
Presently Mr. Poonia is the member of following organizations:
- Member of Senate, Thapar University, Patiala
- Member, All India Council for Technical Education (NWRO Chandigarh)
- Member, Governing Body of NC College of Engineering & Technology, Israna, Panipat
- Member, Pushpa Gujral Science City, Jalandhar
- Member, State Steering Committee under Technical Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP) of Haryana State
- Member, All India Board of Technical Education, New Delhi