In order to give admissions to students of economically weaker sections of the society, the education department of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has been conducting admissions through the lottery system at various schools.
As more than 100 admissions under this act are still pending, the corporation would be conducting the third round of lottery tomorrow, August 24.
Details of the seats
- As per reports, the second round was held on July 4
- As many as 1,618 candidates were allotted seats but only 373 admissions were confirmed
- Officials said that 1,500 students have not approached for admission and 56 applications were rejected
- Meanwhile, 10 schools will not be considered for the third round and a special selection procedure will be carried out for them once the third lottery is done with
- While speaking to Indian Express, Deputy Director of Education B B Chavan said, "These schools have not completed the online formalities of marking the exact number of admitted students and the number of pending admissions."
- Further, another official from the education department said that the process has got delayed as schools had not updated their admission status and 105 seats were in the pending list after the second round of lottery.
"We cannot begin the third round until the pending admission figures are zero," added the official.
Features of admission under RTE:
- Under the RTE Act 2009, there is 25 per cent reservation of seats for students from economically and socially weaker sections
- This reservation is for unaided and non-minority schools
- Free education is provided to students till class 8 by the state government
- Also, the tuition fee is reimbursed to the school after admission is done