- Thousands of candidates who had come to attempt the exam of Indian Navy Services were caught in major stampede as the crowd rushed towards the entrance gate in an attempt to enter the premises. The venue for the exam was at the Malad naval base in Mumbai.
What went wrong?
- A large crowd of 10,000 strong, instead of the expected 4,000, rushed through the gate in an attempt to enter the examination venue at INS Hamla, Malad
- At most, 4,000 candidates were expected for the senior secondary recruitment
- The police present at the venue were prompted to lathi charge at the maddening crowd in order to tame the situation
- According to the navy official, two candidates were reported injured but treated.
- "We were expecting a good response from volunteers. However the response was overwhelming and crowd control created a bit of confusion in the early hours, which was subsequently handled very efficiently by the local police and Navy officials," said the navy official in a statement.
The police completely denied the use of baton in an attempt to control the mad crowd.