For the past two decades the university was led by Dr. SD Gupta who was the founding President. The university primarily focuses on research and professional development in the field of health.
Dr. S.D. Gupta on the appointment of Prof. Vivek Bhandari as President IIHMR said, "Dr. Vivek Bhandari brings with him years of experience as a respected educator and an institution-builder. Him joining as the President at the IIHMR University will bring new vision and future growth not only in health management research and education, but also other diversified disciplines related to human development."
Dr. Vivek Bhandari, now the President of IIHMR University said, "I feel deeply honored to have been given the opportunity to lead the students and faculty at IIHMR University, an institution that has pioneered the field of health management in the Indian subcontinent, and whose commitment to professionalizing health delivery has remained undiminished for over three decades.
It will be a privilege to work closely with the university's institutional community and its many stakeholders to enhance the health and well-being of people everywhere."
Achievements of Vivek Bhandari
- Dr. Vivek Bhandari completed his B.A. (Honors) and M.A. from St. Stephen's College, Delhi
- He went on to receive a second M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- He has a distinguished academic record, and lectures at academic institutions in India and abroad
- His scholarly writings in the fields of comparative history, rural management, sustainability, and peace studies have appeared in a variety of academic journals, and he writes regularly for publications in the mainstream media
- In 2008, Business Today magazine included Prof. Bhandari in its list of "India's Top 25 Young Executives under the age of 40"
Dr. Bhandari in 2011 left the IMRA and after then worked as a consultant with India's leading philanthropic trust such as Sir Dorabji Tata Trust (SDTT), the Sir Ratan Tata Trust (SRTT), and Reliance Foundation where he provided strategic direction to various initiatives thus helping them to address country's various development challenges.
He also works closely with the World Economic Forum, Geneva, and serves on the boards of numerous professional and academic institutions as well as committees convened by the Indian government. Bhandari was a founding faculty member of the Young India Fellowship Program (YIFP), associated with the recently launched Ashoka University, and has also served as the Vice Chancellor of Auro University in Surat.