Overview (Introduction begins here!!)
Combined Defence Service Examination or CDS Exam is held by the Union Public Service Commission twice in a year. This examination is held for recruitments into the Indian Military Academy, officers Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy. The notifications are released in the month of June and October every year. Unmarried Girls are eligible to apply for this examination. The interview for the candidates who clear written test is conducted by the Services Selection Board (SSB).
|Exam Name||Combined Defence Service Examination|
|Commonly Known as||CDS Exam 2016|
|Exam Category||Competitive level|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Conducting Authority||Union Public Service Commission|
Number of Vacancies (You just need one seat!!)
|Indian Military Academy||25 vacancies|
|Indian Naval Academy||45 vacancies|
|Air Force Academy, Hyderabad||32 vacancies|
|Officers Training Academy (for Men) ||175 vacancies (approx)|
|Officers Training Academy Women (Non-Technical)||05 vacancies (approx)|
Eligibility Criteria (Do you have it in you!!)
The candidates applying for this exams must be:
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A subject of Nepal,
- A Tibetan refugee who has settled in India before the 1st January, 1962, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
For IMA it is compulsory to have a graduate degree from a recognized college.
For naval engineering it is necessary to have a Bachelors of engineering degree from a recognized college.
For Air force academy it is necessary to have degree from recognized college(10+2 Physics and maths compulsory) or Bachelors in Engineering.
The eligibility course wise is:
|Course||Age limit||Before Date|
|IMA||19-24 years||1st January or 1st July,2017|
|Naval Academy||19-22 years||1st January or 1st July,2017 |
|Air Force||19-23 years||1st January or 1st July,2017|
|Officers Training Academy||19-25 years||1st January or 1st July,2017|
Registration Details (Hurry up!!)
|Releasing date of CDS (I) 2016 Notification||07th November 2015|
|Online applications can be filled from ||07th November 2015 to 04th December 2015|
|CDS (I) 2016 Admit Cards Download Date||January-February 2016|
|Date of Commencement of Exam: ||14th February 2016 (Sunday)|
|Those appearing for Degree Exam will be required to submit their certificates by ||01st Week of October/Nov 2016|
|Contact||Tel. No. 011- 23381125/23385271/ 23098543|
How to Apply (Accelerate Yourself!!)
- The eligible candidates are required to apply online through www.upsconline.nic.in.
- It is to be noted that one applicant can apply only once. More than one application for a single applicant is not applicable as the photograph, signature uploaded and other entries will be same which not it valid.
- The candidates who are in Govt. services, they can apply only if they bring in writing that they are applying from their Head of Office/Dept.
- For Armed Forces candidates, NOC from Commanding Officer has to be brought at the time of SSB interview.
- The different certificates like SC/ST/OBC has to attached during SSB interviews.
Paper Pattern (Time to show Skills!!)
The examination pattern of written Examination for Naval Academy, Indian Military Academy and Air Force Academy.
|Subjects||Time Duration||Maximum Marks|
|General Knowledge||2 hours||100|
|Mathematics|| 2 hours||100|
The test for Officers' Training Academy include following papers:
|Subject||Time Duration||Maximum Marks|
|General Knowledge||2 hours||100|
There will be Intelligence and Personality Test for those candidates who clear the written test with a good score.
Pay Scale (Salary Credits!!)
|Army / Navy / Air Force Post||Pay Band |
|Lieutenant / Sub Lieutenant / Flying Officer||15600-39100|
|Capt / Lieutenant / Flight Lieutenant ||15600-39100|
|Major / Lieutenant Commander / Squadron Leader||15600-39100|
|Lt. Col / Commander / Wing Commander||15600-39100|
|Colonel / Captain / Group Captain ||37400-67000 |
|Brigadier / Commodore / Air Commodore ||37400-67000|
|Major Gen / Rear Admiral / Air Vice Marshal ||37400-67000|
|Lt Gen / Vice Admiral / Air Marshal||37400-67000|
|General / Admiral / Air Chief Marshal ||80000(Fixed)|