Overview (Introduction begins here!!)
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2016) is a national level test conducted by various technical institutes of IITâ€™s and IISc every year. This examination is based on testing of technical knowledge as well as aptitude for admissions into postgraduate programmes in the field of Engineering (i.e. M.E/M.Tech and direct PhD). These days various private and Public sector companies also use for screening candidates for employment purposes. This year will be conducted online by IISc.
|Exam Name||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering|
|Commonly Known as||GATE 2016|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Conducting Authority||Indian Institute of Science|
Eligibility Criteria (Do you have it in you!!)
The eligibility criteria for GATE 2016 is mentioned below:
|Qualifying Degree name||Qualifying Degree description||Eligibility of candidates||Year of Qualification limited to|
|B.E./B.Tech./B.Pharm.||Bachelor's degree holders or those studied after diploma/B.Sc. holders can apply.||Pursuing final year or completed graduation.||2016|
|B. Arch.||5 year course of Architecture degree||Pursuing final year or completed graduation.||2016|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Bachelor's degree in Science i.e Past diploma of 4 years. ||Pursuing final year or completed graduation.||2016|
|M. Sc./M.A./MCA or any equivalent||Masterâ€™s degree in Science/Mathematics / Statistics / Computer Applications or any equivalent||Pursuing final year or completed graduation.||2016|
|Int. courses M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree||Integrated degrees of Master of Technology or any other dual course for 5 years||Can apply in 4th or 5 th year or after passing.||2017|
|Int. ME/M.Tech (Post B.Sc. )||Integerated ME/Mtech 4 year course with B.Sc||Apply in 2nd/3rd/4th or after passing ||2018|
|Int. M.Sc/Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated B.sc. course with M.Sc. (5 years)||Pursuing final year or completed graduation.||2016|
Registration Details (Hurry up!!)
|Online Application starting via GOAPS link||September 1, 2015|
|Last Date of Application||Was October 1, 2015 and after that extended till October 8, 2015 (11.59 pm)|
|Last Date for Payment of application Fees online for already registered candidates||October 12, 2015|
|Last Date for downloading E-challan||October 12, 2015|
|Last Date for submitting E-challan||October 13, 2015|
|Last Date for changing examination center||November 20, 2015|
|Download of Admit card||December 28, 2015 |
|Exam ||January 30 & 31, 2016|
February 6 & 7, 2016
|Result||March 19, 2016|
|Availability of Score Card ||March 27 to May 29, 2016|
|Contact||Tel: 91 - 80 - 2360 6761/2/3/4/5 |
How to Apply (Accelerate Yourself!!)
- The candidates have to register online through GOAPS website. There will be user id and password generated which is used for filling the application form and future reference. The application form requires some personal and educational qualification details.
- The final submission requires a scanned copy of a photograph, signature, Degree Certificate or Certificate from Principal/HODs in pdf format and the copy of Category/PwD Certificate (if applicable) in pdf format.
- The fee for General and Obc male candidates is Rs. 1500
- The application fee for General/Obc/SC/ST female candidates and SC/ST male candidates is Rs. 700
Paper Pattern (Time to show Skills!!)
Number of questions in all branches of engineering are the same i.e 65 questions carrying 100 marks. There are 10 questions of General Aptitude (GA) for 15 marks.
The engineering branches which carry around 15% of the total marks for the General Aptitude section,15% of the total marks for the Engineering Mathematics and the remaining 70% percentage of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper are:
- Aerospace Engineering (AE),
- Agricultural Engineering (AG),
- Biotechnology (BT),
- Civil Engineering(CE),
- Chemical Engineering(CH),
- Computer Science and Information Technology (CS),
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC),
- Electrical Engineering(EE),
- Instrumentation Engineering(IN),
- Mechanical Engineering(ME),
- Mining Engineering(MN),
- Metallurgical Engineering(MT),
- Production and Industrial Engineering(PI),
- Textile Engineering and Fibre Science(TF) and
- Engineering Sciences(XE)
The branches other than this will have the General Aptitude section carrying 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% of the total marks is for the subject of the paper.
There will be 2 varieties of questions:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) : These questions will carry 1 or 2 marks each in all sections and will have four choices, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer(s).
- Numerical Answer Questions: These are the questions carrying 1 or 2 marks and the answers are real numbered. There is no choices for the answers the candidates have to answer the value using the virtual keypad.
The negative marking criteria will be as follows:
- For 1-mark multiple choice questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
- For 2-mark multiple choice questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
Note that there will be negative marking for the numerical type questions.
Topmost colleges (Knocking Opportunities!!):
1 IIT Bombay
2 IIT Delhi
3 IIT Kanpur
4 IIT Kharagpur
5 IIT Guwahati
6 IIT Madras
7 IIT Roorkee
8 IT BHU
9 NIT Trichy
10 NIT Warangal
GATE 2015 toppers (The Rock-stars):
|Name ||Branch||Gate score|
|Swapnil Pandey||IN ||1000|
|Ashok Bansal ||ME||1000|
|Vijayawada Tamojit Chatterjee||CS||80.09|