Education System - a Brief Overview
Earlier considered to be the best education system in the world, the French education system is compulsory from the ages 6 to 16. 64% of French students pursue secondary education.
1. Ecolle Maternelle
Kindergarten or pre-school, it is for pupils from the age 2 to 6. It has a curriculum which includes reading, writing and creative activities.
2. Ecolle Primaire
Primary school for students from ages 6 to 11. There are 5 classes in in the order CP,CE1,CE2,CM1,CM2. CP means preparatory class, CE is elementary and CM is middle class.
Middle school for students from age 11 to 15. Here students give a brave exam, similar to GCSE.
Covers last 3 years of secondary education.
5. Lycee professionel
Vocational high schools
Visa - What How and Where
As an Indian student, you can apply through CampusFrance . You may create an online registration file on www.india.campusfrance.org or contact the nearest office for assistance.
CAMPUS FRANCE AHMEDABAD
C/o Alliance Française d'Ahmedabad
B/s Food Corporation of India, Himali Tower Lane, Manekbaug Shyamal Road, Satellite
Telephone: + 91-079-26733801/ 267338 00/ 267339 00
CAMPUS FRANCE BANGALORE
C/o Alliance Française de Bangalore
PB 108, Thimmaiah Road
Telephone: + 91- 080- 40808181 / 4123
CAMPUS FRANCE CHANDIGARH
C/o Alliance Francaise de Chandigarh
Sector -36 A
Next to Hibiscus Garden
Telephone: + 91-0-172- 4020604
CAMPUS FRANCE CHENNAI
C/o Alliance Francaise de Chennai
New No. 24/ Old No. 40
Telephone: +91 44 42028773
CAMPUS FRANCE HYDERABAD
Alliance Francaise d'Hyderabad
Plot No 4, Road No. 3
Aurora colony, Banjara Hills
Hyderabad- 500 034
Telephone: +91-40- 23554482
CAMPUS FRANCE KOLKATA
C/o Alliance Française de Kolkata
217 AJC Bose Road
Telephone: +91-033-40064804 / 22815538-198
CAMPUS FRANCE MUMBAI
C/o Alliance Francaise de Bombay
40 New Marine Lines
Mumbai- 400 020
CAMPUS FRANCE NEWDELHI
C/o Alliance Française de Delhi
72, Lodhi Estate, Lodi Road
New Delhi- 110003
Telephone: 011 43048128, 65667414
CAMPUS FRANCE PUNE
C/o Alliance Française de Poona
Off Senapati Bapat Road,
Kala Chaya, 270-D, Patrakar Nagar
You must show the financial resources : min 615 € a month x the no.of months you will live there + tuition fees.
If your parents will sponsor you, a letter from your sponsor with bank statements and proof for the same.
Letter of admission from your institution.
International medical insurance
Price for visa is:
Children less than 12 applying for short stay : 35 € or 4545 Rs.
Student Short Stay : 60€ or 3788 Rs
Student Long Visa : 99€ or 7500 Rs.
Schedule an Appointment
For a short stay,ie, less than 90 days, a Schengen visa for can be filled. www.vfsfrance.co.in/downloadvisaforms.html
Remember that like in most other countries, to apply for a visa you must have confirm admission letter from an institution . This process in itself is lengthy and tedious. Begin soon enough.
Documents Required for short stay visa
- Two passport size photographs of the past 3 months meeting set standards – one must be attached to the application form (Size 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm, with clear background).
- Passport: a full national private passport or official travel document with a minimum of three months validity beyond the validity of the requested visa, with two blank visa pages (face to face) with the mention “visa” to affix the visa sticker. The passport should be issued less than 10 years ago.
- One copy of the passport mentioning personal identity and validity extension information, “note on remarks” page and all the pages which contain previous Schengen and valid US, U.K visas.
- Old passports: if you own one or more former passports, you must bring them
- A print out of your CampusFrance ID number, if any
- A letter of registration from a French Academic Institution or a certificate testifying that you will follow an European Union Training Programme or proof of scholarship
- Cover letter explaining the study project and your motivation, including a short curriculum vitae.
- One copy of your degrees / diplomas and certificates
- Proof of resources: a copy of the last year income tax papers + last 3 months bank statement and salary slips or a letter of support issued by a sponsor who must prove that he has sufficient and regular resources (last 3 months bank statement and salary slips)
- NOC from the company or institute if working or a student
- Copy of CV
- Copies of degrees and diplomas
- Visa applications for internships of students with (Sharpak) scholarships, please be informed that the internship agreement should also be required.
- Proof of medical insurance: photocopy of overseas medical insurance policy + repatriation and evacuation cover (equivalent to 30 000 euros). You must show the original insurance for verification at the time of submission of your visa application form
- Copy of your air ticket or PNR (booking print out)
Accommodation during the first three months of the stay:
- Proof of residency in France such as lease, electricity bill, title of property (original + photocopy)
- Hotel: confirmed reservation
- Accommodation provided by an individual : “attestation d’accueil”
- Accommodation is in an establishment (or in an institution) or provided by an establishment (or an institution): attestation by the establishment or the institution
Student under 18: the visa application must include an authorization from both parents to travel alone. The authorization has to be certified by an entitled Indian/Nepalese authority and enclose copy of the parents' identity
- Applicants are requested by the French authorities to provide with either a photocopy of certificate from their school or university or any other document as a proof of their enrolment as a student.
- The photocopy of certificate from school or university or any other proof of professional or educative occupation is also requested whenever a young person over 18 is depending on his parents for the living expenses
Long Stay Student Visa
This type of visa is for student who wish to stay for more than 90 days in France.
1.Two passport size photographs of the past 3 months meeting set standards – one must be attached to the application form (Size 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm, with clear background).
2.Passport: a full national private passport or official travel document with a minimum of three months validity beyond the validity of the requested visa, with two blank visa pages face to face with the mention “visa” to affix the visa sticker. The passport should be issued less than 10 years ago.
3.One copy of the passport mentioning personal identity and validity extension information, “note on remarks” page and all the pages which contain Schengen visas.
4.Old passports: if you own one or more former passports, you must bring them.
5.A print out of your CampusFrance ID number.
6.A letter of registration from a French Academic Institution or a certificate testifying that you will follow an European Union Training Programme or proof of scholarship.
7.Cover letter explaining the study project and your motivation, including a short curriculum vitae.
8.Proof of resources: tuition fees + a minimum of 615 Euros/month x by number of months of stay (living expenses). Only liquid assets will be considered. In the case of family member/friend funding your studies, an undertaking must be provided on plain paper duly signed along with supporting financial documents. Bank statements of the last 3 months (of the individual sponsoring the education and the student’s bank statements if he/she has an account in his/her name). If you are being hosted by a family in France, an “Attestation d’accueil” will have to be provided by the family (A sample of this document may be downloaded from http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/R10751.xhtml). In such a case you will have to show resources for a minimum of 300 euros per month for your living expenses. Note: holders of a scholarship are not concerned. A certificate mentioning the amount and the duration of the scholarship is only required.
9.One copy of your round trip ticket if you are studying 6 months or less (+ 1 photocopy) or a one way ticket only if you are studying in France more than 6 months (+ 1 photocopy)
10.The “Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration” OFII form duly filled and signed. Download the OFII form on thewww.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/IMG/pdf/LS-01d_formulaire_ofii.pdf
11.Accommodation during the first three months of the stay. Proof of residency in France such as a lease, electricity bill, title of property etc. for a minimum of 3 months + 1 photocopy. Hotel: reservation and necessary resources to cover costs. Accommodation provided by an individual: “attestation d’accueil”, or attestation by solemn undertaking (in this case, the copies of identity card and electricity bill and receipt for rent payment or title of property must been provided). Accommodation in an establishment (or in an institution) or provided by an establishment (or an institution): attestation by the establishment or the institution.
12.Copy of the CV
13.Copies of the degree and diplomas, certificates
14.Visa applications for internships of students with (Sharpak) scholarships, please be informed that the internship agreement should also be required.